Susan Conley, her husband, and their two young sons say good-bye to their friends, family, and house in Maine for a two-year stint in a high-rise apartment in Beijing, prepared to embrace the inevitable onslaught of new experiences that such a move entails. But Susan can't predict just how much their lives will change.
While her husband is consumed with his job, Susan works on finishing her novel and confronting the challenges of day-to-day life in an utterly foreign country: determining the proper way to buy apples at a Chinese megamarket; bribing her little boys to ride the school bus; fielding invitations to mysterious "sweater parties" and tracking down the faux-purse empire of the infamous Bag Lady; and getting stuck in an elevator, unable to call for help in Mandarin.
Despite the distractions, there are many occasions for joy. From road trips to the Great Wall and bartering for a "starter Buddha" at the raucous flea market to lighting fireworks in the streets for the Chinese New Year and feasting on the world's best dumplings in back-alley restaurants, they gradually turn their unfamiliar environs into a true home.
Then Susan learns she has cancer. After undergoing treatment in Boston, she returns to Beijing, again as a foreigner--but this time, it's her own body in which she feels a stranger. Set against the eternally fascinating backdrop of modern China and full of insight into the trickiest questions of motherhood--How do you talk to children about death? When is it okay to lie?--this wry and poignant memoir is a celebration of family and a candid exploration of mortality and belonging.
From the Hardcover edition.
- Popular eBooks Available Now
- Mystery eBooks
- Science Fiction eBooks
- Fantasy eBooks
- New eBooks for Adults
- You Are What You Eat (eBooks)
- Taking Control of Your Time, Your Money, Your Mind, Your Life (eBooks)
- History eBooks
- Current Events
- Romance Ebooks for Valentine's Day
- New Books for Kids
- See all
- Always Available Audiobooks
- Mystery Audiobooks
- Biography and Autobiography Audiobooks
- Business Audiobooks
- History Audiobooks
- Popular Fiction Audiobooks Available Now
- Fitness and Nutrition Audiobooks
- Popular Audiobooks Available Now
- Women's History Month: Audiobooks
- Romance Audiobooks for Valentine's Day
- New Audiobooks for Kids
- New Audiobooks for Adults
- Popular Nonfiction Audiobooks Available Now
- See all